Saving money is hard work and requires sacrifice and self discipline. However, there are some ways this daunting task can be made easier by taking some simple steps.
- Write down everything that you spend money on and how much you spend. It’s amazing to see on paper how much you are spending on those little things here and there. Find alternatives for those large expenses that aren’t necessities or cut them completely.
- Make a list and lessen trips to the store. I’m a huge impulse buyer when I go to the store. It’s typically little things here and there, but they add up. Having a list helps me to stay focused and not wander around so much wondering what I might need at home. Making less trips to the store also saves on gas, time, and the temptation to impulse buy.
- Organize your stuff. There are so many unnecessary purchases that occur when you don’t realize you already have something at home. Keeping your household items neat and easy to find will alleviate purchasing double of something.
- Pay more than your minimum payments on all loans. It’s amazing how much money you can save on interest when you pay more than your minimum payment.
- Live within your means. Contrary to what our culture believes you don’t need that brand new vehicle every few years, a house you can’t afford, or to follow any and all trends. These things cost you more than money, they can lead to you compromising your integrity and values.